Home

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Persuasive presentation Analysis ( BCOM 3950 Carol Edelson's Class GSU )

Background:

The purpose of my presentation was to persuade the Executives of T-mobile to let their employees telecommute. In order to persuade I had my presentation organized into three parts: introduction, body and the conclusion. I started my presentation explaining the Executives what telecommute means, and also provided with the examples of some companies who are currently letting their employees telecommute. I choose the indirect approach to persuade my audiences. It is because I thought my audience might be resistant or skeptical. In order to reduce any skepticism and to establish creditability I decided to produce the facts in the beginning from some trusted sources.  I had two different data sets to start my presentation with. One of the data was from United States Bureau of Labor and the other was form Fortune Magazine. After introducing my topic I explained my audiences the benefits of telecommuting. At the end I summarized the benefits again. 

Findings:

I watched the recording of my presentation three times. First, I watched the recording with the sound muted, to see how my gestures are. Secondly, I just listened the recording with my eyes closed. I did this to analyze my pace, pronunciation, clarity and the confidence in voice.  Lastly, I watched the recording with the audio on. When I was watching the recording for the third time, I was focusing on whether my nonverbal elements are consistent with my message or not. Most Importantly, while was watching the recording each time, I was also comparing it with my previous presentations to see if there has been any improvement made.


·      In my previous presentation I was touching my belt buckle a lot while speaking and I was touching my chin whenever I had to think of a specific word.  Also, I failed utilize my space. I was working on these three things. I found out that there have been improvements made. In my recent presentation I was not confined to one place. I was walking and I did not touch my belt buckle or my chin.

·      I was also working to maintain my pace. I found that there was only little improvement made. The presentation still seemed rushed like the previous one. I also found that some words could be hard for my audiences to understand if I do not maintain my pace. The presentation did not seem to be evenly distributed.  For example: I spent most of my time introducing the topic and there was very little time left for explaining the main points. I found that I should spend more time explaining the main points to make the presentation effective.

·      Watching the recording I found that my nonverbal elements were consistent with my message. The presentation did not sound like it was memorized or canned. It sounded completely conversational. Depending upon what I was saying there was variance in pitch, inflection and projection.

·      Citing data form trusted sources made the presentation more credible.

Opportunities for improvement:

  •       To ensure the message is delivered as desired, I have to maintain my pace in future.
  •      In future while presenting, I have to prioritize my ideas and spend more time on the most important points.




No comments:

Post a Comment